Pete Braun, President of Wall-tech Companies, says CFS prefabrication made efficient use of materials and boosted construction speed.
Wall-panel prefabricated the wall and floor panels off-site in their facility. Wall-tech erected the systems.
On February 1, 2016, erection of the CFS framing on the second floor of Metreau Apartments was nearly complete.
Metreau Apartments’ framing design includes CFS attachment points for a variety of balcony types.
Wall-panel Prefab used building information models to eliminate conflicts with the MEP trades.
Eighty days later, on April 22, 2016, eight men had completed five additional floors.
Mixed-use luxury apartments
Eight stories, 107 units, 127,546 sq. ft.
Dermond Property Investments, Inc., Milwaukee, WI
Eppstein Uhen Architects, Milwaukee, WI
Pierce Engineers, Inc., Milwaukee, WI
Matsen Ford Design Associates, Inc., Waukesha, WI (now part of raSmith, Brookfield, WI)
Catalyst Construction, Milwaukee, WI
Cold-Formed Steel Panelizer
Wall-panel Prefab, DeForest, WI
Cold-Formed Steel Erector
Wall-tech, Inc., DeForest, WI
43 – 97 mil steel stud and joist framing
Upper 7 stories: Cold-formed steel walls, C-joist floors, and flat CFS roof trusses.
• 127,546 sq. ft. total; 114,000 sq. ft. CFS • First floor and lower level precast concrete post-and-beam framing with podium slabs
• X-braced CFS shear walls and precast concrete stair and elevator shear walls transfer through the podium level diaphragm into pre-cast concrete shear walls
Cold-Formed Steel Trusses
• Spans up to 44 ft. 3 in.; supported
by CFS stud walls at 16 in. o.c.
• Built-in fall-arrest anchors
Cold-formed Steel Floor Joists
Prefabricated off-site. Spans up to 26 ft.
• 12 in. by 54 mil to 97 mil C-joists (2 in. flange) at 16 in. o.c.; 8 in. by 54 mil used in corridors
• End track used frequently to eliminate load-bearing headers
• Fall-arrest anchors built into terrace joists
• 670 total panels, 111 per floor
Cold-Formed Steel Walls
Prefabricated off-site. All studs aligned from floor to floor.
• Bearing cases: 6 in. by 97 mil to 43 mil C-studs (1-5/8 in. to 3 in. flanges) at 16 in. o.c.
• Parapets designed for fall-arrest loading
• Stud panels compressed for tight seating in top and bottom track
• 1,106 total panels, 158 per floor
Green Bay’s Metreau Apartments is just one great example of Load-Bearing CFS. In just 14 weeks, an 8-man crew finished the 8-story wall and floor systems. By panelizing the CFS framing, Wall-tech was able to fully complete the enclosure in 20 weeks. As an added bonus, prefabrication eliminates delays caused by bad weather.
The end result? Early delivery that produced $250,000 in savings.
CFS is an optimal way to balance client needs with your vision. It’s a functional system that meets use requirements while allowing you to express the right look. There’s no need to sacrifice on quality or price. You can shorten construction time and come in under budget.
Before you decide on a different framing system, why not consider CFS?
Fields marked with * are required